Welcome to Turtle Bay
The Turtle Bay Association now numbers 1,740 member households.
More than 400 of these are new to our ranks. This issue was written
with those new members in mind. Bob and Claudette Blumenson have
contributed an exhaustive article about Turtle Bay's architecture,
parks, and celebrities. Terri Heveran has covered some of the activities
for our growing population of youngsters. Rennie Weber's article
about the Old Print Center /Phyllis Lucas Gallery highlights one
of Turtle Bay's most fascinating shops. Below, George Avras has
compiled a few of the Turtle Bay Association's vital statistics.
- Founded: 1957.
- Area: 43rd to 53rd Streets, Lexington Avenue to the river.
- Status: 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization.
- Awards: Cited in the Congressional Record for working to reclaim
the neighborhood's public spaces; Our Town Award; Community Board
6 Award; and a plaque from the Vanderbilt Y for services to the
- Committees: Environment; Friends of Dag Hammarskjold Plaza
Park; Grants; Land Use/Zoning; Membership; Newsletter; Office;
Parks; Safety; Special Events; Turtle Bay Business Associates.
- History: The Turtle Bay Association was originally formed to
protest the widening of 49th Street. In 1987 TBA spearheaded the
reconstruction of Peter Detmold Park and for 16 years worked toward
the refurbishment of Dag Hammarskjold Plaza Park, these efforts
being fulfilled only last year. TBA is currently opposing the
height of the Trump World Tower building between 47th and 48th
Streets on First Avenue.
- Ongoing efforts: Maintaining trees and tree beds on Second
Avenue; organizing events for children in MacArthur Playground;
fighting graffiti by repainting mailboxes, traffic signs and signal
boxes, and offering a merchants discount program for TBA members.
- Annual events: Volunteers' Party; "Love Thy Neighborhood"
Valentine Party; Street Fair; Night Out Against Crime; Annual
Meeting; Holiday Toy Collection; plus occasional outings, and
Town Hall meetings.
- Communications: Bulletin Board on east side of Second Avenue
between 48th and 49th Streets; Newsletter sent to members, Website
at turtlebay-nyc.org; email address, TBAoffice@mindspring.com;
phone, 212-751-5465; fax, 212-751-4941.
- Office location: Vanderbilt YMCA at 224 East 47th Street, Third
Home | About
Us | Announcements | History
| Map | Places of Interest
Help Line | Membership
| Links | Yellow Pages
| Advertising | Contact
Turtle Bay Association is a nonprofit (501c3) community
224 East 47th Street, New York City 10017
Fax (212) 751-4941